Monday, June 18, 2012

Short break and something about Cornflowers

It's been a long time since I've posted, through nobody's fault but my own.  I have a few weekends free from my Steuben Princess duties though, so I will use that free time to catch up and write posts about all the events I've been to (with pictures).

So far, after the crowning and dress fitting, I've been to 4 events in 3 weekends.  It's been a blast, but it's going to be nice to have a short break and a weekend where I don't put hundreds of miles on my car (or my parents' car).  I'm pretty sure Spartacus, my cat, will be happy to have me home more too!

Some of you may not know, but a big part of our job is to sell Cornflowers (not real ones) with ribbons that have the parade date on them.  They're unbelievably popular and many people buy at least one every year and have built up quite a collection.   Why the cornflower?

I took this bit straight from Wikipedia: "The cornflower is the official flower and the logo of the German-American Steuben Parade of New York City, as it widely grows in both Germany and the United States. Also, the color blue symbolizes friendship and hope. In addition the Cornflower was the national Flower of Prussia since its introduction by Kaiser Wilhelm I to honor his mother Queen Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and because of its color (prussian blue)"


Unfortunately, something happened and none of the groups have gotten their orders of cornflowers yet.  We had a few to sell for the first couple of events, but we ran out of those quickly!  They were a hot item even though we had to raise the price to $2.  Luckily, we have armbands ($2) (like the livestrong bracelets - I have to say, I'm surprised those never totally went out of style), pins ($3), stickers ($1), and iron-on patches ($3).  We also have raffle tickets that are $5 a piece or $20 for a book of 5.  One of the prizes is a round trip for 2 to Germany!  There are 6 other prizes too, including a nice dinner for 4, dinner for 2 and a cookbook, a silk scarf, and a really pricey fountain pen!

While I'm on my mini-break from my duties, please let me know if you're interested in buying a raffle ticket or anything else.  Or come to some of the future events!  The next one will be German Night at Eisenhower Park in Nassau County, NY from 7:00pm - 9:30pm on Monday, July 9.  Hope to see some of you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment